What is Glycolic Acid?
How does Glycolic Acid Work?
In a nutshell, by eliminating the buildup of oils and dead skin cells, glycolic acid ensures the pores are less likely to become clogged and acne breakouts are less likely to occur.
The Benefits of Using Glycolic Acid
The benefits of glycolic acid can be quite remarkable because as it boosts your skin’s natural exfoliating process it also helps your skin retain moisture. This is important because when acne-prone skin gets too dry the body will overproduce oil to compensate. As mentioned above, more oil means a more fertile environment for new acne breakouts. Glycolic acid’s extra moisture boost is also a nice counterbalance to the dryness that can sometimes come from using benzoyl peroxide and salicylic acid, two ingredients often found in acne treatments.
Another added benefit of using glycolic acid products on acne-prone skin is that it can help reduce the appearance of marks and dark spots left behind by acne. Glycolic acid may also help smooth fine lines and surface wrinkles, as it helps to keep the skin soft, supple and vibrant-looking.
Risks and Warnings
Proactiv Products with Glycolic Acid
Given its potent exfoliating abilities, it should come as no surprise that glycolic acid is one of the anti-acne ingredients in both Proactiv+® 3-Step System and Proactiv® Solution 3-Step System.
- Proactiv+ Skin Smoothing Exfoliator: Step 1 of the Proactiv+ 3-Step System, this creamy, cushiony cleanser is formulated with micro-crystal benzoyl perozide to clear up acne blemishes and help new ones from forming. It also contains tiny exfoliating beads and glycolic acid which help to gently resurface the skin to reveal a smoother, softer-looking complexion.
- Mark Correcting Pads: Each convenient, single-use pad helps remove dead skin cells and exfoliate away rough, dull layers, revealing the new, smoother skin below. The pads are designed to resurface the skin with exxfoliating glycolic acid, helping to fade the look of post-acne marks and reduce the appearance of fine lines, wrinkles and enlarged pores.
- Re-Texturizing Toner: This unique formula helps remove dead skin cells and decongest pores to promote healthy cell turnover and includes pore-purifying ingredients like glycolic acid and salicylic acid to help unclog pores.
- Clear Zone Body Pads: Our Clear Zone Body Pads contain the time-proven acne effectiveness of salicylic acid with the skin-enhancing properties of glycolic acid. Specially formulated for the treatment of oily skin, our dual, textured 3″ pads help lift away dirt build-up off the pores.
- Proactiv Revitalizing Toner: Step 2 of the Proactiv Solution 3-Step System, this botanical-rich, alcohol-free toner helps to keep pores from clogging by removing excess surface oil and dead skin cells. It features our exclusive alpha hydroxy (AHA) formulation, including glycolic acid, to gently exfdoliate layers of dead cells, revealing vital skin underneath